Friday, December 20, 2013

Ten Reasons Why Video Games Won't Ruin Your Kids

    Today I want to address the ongoing debate of weather or not we should allow our children to play video games.  I feel that they have gotten a bad wrap because of violent games like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto.  I am using these games as an example, I am not going to get into the subject of young kids playing mature games, there is a clear rating on the cover and if a parent feels that a game like this has ruined their child, well it's their own damn fault.  I am talking about appropriate games, kids games, E for everyone rated games.  Do they rot your brain?  Is your little one's eye sight at risk?  Are you worried your kid (kids) wont want to go out and get active?

Ten reasons why I support children playing video game:

1. We've all heard it "Step back from the TV you'll burn your eyes out!".  I don't know why this one stuck around for so long but it is flat out not true.  And as far as games are concerned, they have actually been proven to improve focus and attention to detail...don't believe me?  Do a quick Google search, there is a slue if informative articles on the subject.

2. I had heard in the past that video games can spark creativity, it makes sense right?  Little Man is a perfect example, he loves pretending he is his favorite video game characters, and has surprised me on several occasions by trying to make costumes to look like the Link, Mario, or even Samus.  He even creates his own heroes and story lines!  I think it has to be mentioned that he does not do this with cartoon characters.

3. In my house, video games are a reward for good behavior.  He does not wake up in the morning and immediately jump on the game to remain there until bed time.  After we are done playing in the living room he is to help me clean up the toys and get his bedroom back in order, he also often helps me with the laundry.  If he has behaved himself and helped around the house he gets to play a game while I do the things he can't help me with (dishes or me getting a shower).  I have to say, it works quite well!  And of course, as with just about anything else, it's all about moderation.

4. Games really seem to give my son that "can do attitude".  He knows that if he tries and fails in a game that he can try again (and sometimes again, and again, and again) but when he finally succeeds he is so proud of himself!  The game rewards him by giving him coins, points, or a new area to explore as a form of motivation.

5. It's family fun!  Multiplayer games are a favorite in this household.  Since Little Man is three, he doesn't quite get board games yet, but all of us getting into a Super Smash Brothers showdown is so much more fun anyway!

6. Video games improve memory and directional skills.  I have even seen this in myself, if I am playing a game with a really elaborate map I tend to get turned around while out and about substantially less ( I have the worst directional skills known to man, I blame genetics on that one).

7. I think this is an obvious one, video games improve problem solving skills.  You are required to solve puzzles and problems in many game (Legend of Zelda games for example) So while most don't come straight out and teach ABC's and 123's there is still much to learn from playing games.  They are made to be challenging after all.

8. Winter time is tough.  When my son has friends over, I try my best to discourage them from going in the bedroom and wrecking what we just cleaned, or even worse, breaking one of his toys.  So when it's not freezing outside, I usually sit with them outside while they play ball, or just run around goofing off.  But the first day of winter is tomorrow, and it has already started to get quite nippy here.  I would much rather them get together and play a multiplayer game than wreck my house (haha).  FYI it's a good way to get kids in to take a break when its blistering hot outside too. (Who knew, video games can prevent heat stroke! hehe)

9. Your kid is not going to turn into a fat slob teenager who sits in front of a video game all hours of the day and ignores his responsibilities and (EEK) hygiene.  That is, if you don't allow it to happen!  Limits have to be set now so once you and your little one get to that point, it has become a habit to set the game down and take a break and get want they need to get done, done before beginning gameplay.  The link between laziness and video games is faulty at best (but I do think we need to make sure games, or anything for that matter doesn't become an obsession), laziness has been around long before video games ;)

10. The final point I have to make is, I know my kid is going to love video games (especially since I have a boy).  He is going to play it at friend's houses, and with the other kids in the family.  I feel my only fighting chance in having any say in what he plays as he grows up is if I have a genuine interest in the things he enjoys, and participate in them too!  Hopefully I can also instill the artfulness that goes into games, and the importance of the story they tell (yes I see a lot of games as interactive books, especially the ones that actually do make you read).

      Thank you for reading through my list, hopefully it was a bit informative and a fun read!  Feel free to continue the discussion in the comment box below :)


No comments:

Post a Comment